Wednesday 13 November 2013

A tiny hut on chicken legs?


In Russian folklore, Baba Yaga (pronounced ee-ga) is a sorceress who lives in a tiny hut on chicken legs. She lives deep in the forest and whizzes around in a flying pestle and mortar. Sometimes she acts benevolently. More often she roasts children over the fire and has them for supper.

Baba Yaga's hut is so small that she can lie on her stove (Russian stoves are encased in huge brick chimneys) and reach any part of her hut without moving. It is for this reason that I occasionally chuckle and remind myself of Baba Yaga. Not because I ever fancy roast children for tea.


Baba Yaga by the Hermitage


Although not elevated on chicken legs, Princess Pea is tiny. I can reach most of what I want from my bed and one log too many on the stove sends the temperature soaring. I have to be organised. Boots come off at the door religiously, otherwise I find grit in the bed. I have to be very tidy, not something that comes naturally to me, otherwise I can't find anything at all. And I am constantly losing things. All the time. It takes so little to create clutter, and the storage spaces are so small, that it becomes impossible to find anything.


 The space inside Princess Pea


But the good news is - I'm moving. Imminently!

I'll still be at Hillcrest though. I'm only moving a few metres across the yard. I won't be living in a caravan anymore. I won't be living in a house.  I'm not going to tell you where I'm going to be living until I get there (some of you know already!) but suffice to say, I'm very excited!

It won't be a tiny hut on chicken legs either. Although I did buy a pestle and mortar the other day...





No comments:

Post a Comment